Thursday, March 21, 2019

Week 14 Lab: TVTropes



The story lab that I did this week was to explore TVTropes. Initially, when I got to the site, I was confused by where I was supposed to go on the site and what I was supposed to look for while there. After a few minutes of looking around, I finally found the tropes that were spoken about. I realized that in every story, there is usually a trope that is used to further along the plot of a story. A few of my favorite tropes that I found on this site were the death glare, beware the nice ones, and a love triangle.

I think the death glare is really funny if used in a comical setting. When I saw death glare as a trope, I initially though of April from Parks and Rec. She is constantly giving out death glares and trying to be intimidating. Sometimes it works, but most of the time, I think it loses its effectiveness which I think is funny.

Another trope that I enjoy in stories is beware the nice ones. I like this one because I think this comes as such a surprise. Often, the watchers do not expect such a nice character to blow up. Honestly, this usually is not the fault of the nice character. They are often pushed too far, and all the emotions they have been suppressing while trying to stay nice come out all at once. I think I kind of relate to these characters, so I appreciate when this problem is brought to light. Hopefully, people get out of this trope that they should not push people past their limits.

The final trope that I always fall for is the love triangle. Love triangles just create so much drama, and I always end up picking a side. This is almost like a game in the story, and I end up rooting for my favorite character out of the two vying for the main character's love. I usually go for the good guy in the story, but often in these dramas, there is often good and bad to each person.


Image Information: TV, Pixabay

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jaclyn,
    I also did this assignment and I found some pretty cool things. I think it is very interesting to read about tropes because I often don't realize how common they are until it is pointed out. The tropes you write about, for example, are very common but not something I usually think of. April is a great example of the death glare. I also think of Rosa Diaz from Brooklyn 99.
    I enjoyed your post!
    Have a good semester.
    -Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaclyn, I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading this post. I actually really enjoy love triangle tropes as well as they are often complicated for people to decide on whose side to choose as you mentioned. In my Iranian cinema class, we watched a movie called Nargess that is said to be one of the best love triangle movies of all time. I think you would really enjoy checking it out if you enjoy love triangles as it truly is an amazing movie.

    ReplyDelete