Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Week 10 Lab: Creative Life

The first video that I watched was A New Theory of Human Intelligence by Scott Barry Kaufman. This video brought up the importance of prioritizing the different aspects of human intelligence. A key point to this talk was that people have various skills and not everyone should be held to the same standards. This becomes a problem with standardized tests and having different parameters for how some people get into certain schools. A problem with having so many enforced unspoken rules for how intelligence should be assessed is that people that do not possess those chosen valued skills lose their value. This means that everyone does not get to reach their full potential as they force themselves to be valuable in this society. I have found that even in my own life, I have made myself become something that is more desirable in this society's culture. Top companies want people that produce quickly and effectively that serve a customer's need, and that is how I have learned to shape myself which I found to be something I had never planned.

The second video was Copyright is Brain Damage by Nina Paley. This person that gave the tech talk was an artist, and she shared the story of her struggle with creation with the restraints of copyright. She explained that with every piece of art she made, she realized there was a subconscious amount of limitations in her work. The cause of this hesitation she had was caused by the copyright and permission culture that we have existed in since birth. She brings up that copyright and permissions for use of artwork are something that we never chose to opt into. In this way, we have a set of rules that I think we have even experienced in this class. Every time we want to use an image for each blog post we make for this class, we have to make sure that we go through the steps to make sure we are abiding by the rules of copyright. This greatly diminishes the options we are allowed to use to express ourselves when creating our blog posts. I cannot image having to be an artist in a creative field where my options to help my creative process are so greatly restricted.



Bibliography
A New Theory of Human Intelligence by Scott Barry Kaufman Story Lab: Creative Life

Image Information: Human Intelligence, Pixabay

1 comment:

  1. Hey again Jaclyn,

    I really enjoyed watching the first video and think it is so cool to ponder. One thing about intelligence that I believe is that environment greatly affects intelligence. By this, I mean that if we are in the forest or stranded on an island, an ACT score has no relevance. Therefore, is the guy with the 4.0 or the survivalist outdoors guy more intelligent in that situation. I have really had some deep talks regarding intelligence if you cannot tell, so I had to comment on this. Great job and hope you are having a great semester.

    ReplyDelete