Saturday, March 23, 2019

Typing Test Tech Tip

The first typing test that I tried was KeyHero.com. This site was really cool because it gave you a fairly long quote to type, and it tracked for you how many words per minute you were typing and your accuracy. This site also gave a nice visual as to what you typed as it tracked every character typed and highlighted it either green or red to show how accurate you were and what speed you were going when you typed it. I was able to get up to 80 words per minute, but when I looked at the high scores, I saw some people were typing at 200 words per minute which is crazy!

The second typing test that I tried out was called TypingTest. This one gave you 60 seconds to type as much of a passage that it generated. This one did not give me as much feedback as KeyHero did, but I was able to see what I was typing, so I readjusted and corrected myself. I also got about the same speed on this test as the last one, so it is nice to see that I am at least consistent.

I have tried to increase my typing speed. I first took a typing class in middle school that was really helpful, and from there I greatly improved. Past that, at one of my previous jobs, I often opened up a speed typing site when there were no customers to try and increase my typing speed and accuracy. Games like that helped pass the time, and I think I did slowly get faster. I really do think becoming faster at typing is useful in today's modern society. Since most of my work is done online nowadays, the faster I am at typing, the faster I am at getting my work done. Especially for this class where everything is typed, typing accurately and quickly has helped reduce how much time I have spent on each assignment. In addition to schoolwork, I have a job where I am a programmer, so again, everything is typed. The faster I can type, the faster I can test out new methods for making some code work.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaclyn,
    These sites sound so interesting! Now I want to see how fast I type, though I bet it's not very fast. I will have to check these out for next week's tech tip! For this week's tech tip I tried creating a story on the website Twinery. It's a really cool site where you create stories that allow the reader to make choices that will affect the ending of the story. You should check it out because it was quick, easy, and something I am glad to know about.
    Have a good semester!

    ReplyDelete