Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Reading Notes: Great Plains, Part A

The first story I chose from the Great Plains unit was "The Eagle's Revenge." In this story, there was a hunter that had just shot a deer. When he went to go collect the deer, he found that an eagle was already eating from the dead deer. To get to the deer, the hunter shot the eagle. By doing so, he was able to take the deer he shot back to his village where he told his village that he had also shot an eagle. People were sent back to collect the eagle as well, and there was a dance of the eagle held. During this dance, a strange man joined the event and began telling a story of how he had managed to kill a man. Each time he had finished a story, someone in the village died. After the strange man left, the village folk later found out that the strange man was the brother of the eagle.

I appreciated the telling of this story because it was so simple. Even though the story was simple, the idea and events still managed to be related to the reader. I struggle with writing stories that are of such a short length, and I really would like to be able to get a whole story across in only three hundred words while including everything that I think is important to the story. This story shows me that maybe when I am writing stories, I am trying to relate too many events in one go. So to help my writing, I need to focus on what I think are the highlights of the story that I am trying to tell. I usually like to include a lot of details to make the story more realistic, but maybe this approach is overkill for the stories that I am trying to tell. I should try better to just get straight to the point, and then I can work on fleshing out the story more at a later time.




Bibliography
The Eagle's RevengeMyths and Legends of the Great Plains by Katharine Berry Judson (1913)

Image Information: Eagle, Pixabay

No comments:

Post a Comment