Monday, February 18, 2019

Week 6 Lab: Creative Writing and Style

From this group of videos, I enjoyed the first two videos the most. I liked these videos because they correlated more with my interests in life. The first one was about reaching limitations and finding new ways to surpass them, and the second one was about heroes. The first video called The power of creative constraints by Brandon Rodriguez from the Story Lab: Style playlist really got my attention because of the scientific approach they took to explaining their concept. In engineering, I often have to use my creativity to figure out a way to make something work if I even have any idea how to start. This video was also pretty cool for me because they mentioned rovers. Since I am on the rover team, I actually learned how the top engineers of the time approached dealing with realistic constraints in creative ways. Their ideas in theory did not sound super great, but they definitely did get the job done which is what mattered. Their innovation and new ideas helped to bring about the landing of multiple rovers that have now explored another planet for years.

The second video that caught my attention was What makes a hero? by Matthew Winkler. This was a really neat video to me because of all of the animations that brought the lesson to life. We learned about the monomyth and how this pattern for heroes is used constantly for the majority of our most popular heroes in fiction. The person narrating the video brought up examples like Harry Potter and Katniss from the Hunger Games to prove how theses heroes follow the same storyline. The basic storyline is the hero starts in their ordinary world, they are called to adventure, they have help from an older mentor, they head out to action, face their biggest enemy, and then eventually head back to their old life but with new hero status.


Bibliography

The power of creative constraints by Brandon Rodriguez
What makes a hero? by Matthew Winkler

Image Information: Harry Potter, Pixabay

1 comment:

  1. I haven't watched these particular videos but I love learning little tidbits from the story labs. I think it's super interesting how you (and it sounds like the guy in the first video) have applied creative processes to things like machinery, because my mind is so not in an engineering place - when I think "creativity" I think art and literature! It's a good reminder that creative thinking applies to every aspect of life.

    ReplyDelete