Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Introduction to Jaclyn of the Angels

My full name is Jaclyn de los Angeles. My last name quite often causes people to question me about the meaning of my name. I have heard various guesses as to what my name means, and I will tell you now that no, I am not from Los Angeles, California. My last name "de los Angeles" translates to "of the Angels" in English. I will say my last name has been one of my favorite last names that I have encountered. I am half Filipina on my dad's side as he was born in the Philippines which is where my last name originated in my family.


(Printed Circuit Board: Pixabay)

I am currently in my third year at the University of Oklahoma. I am studying Computer Engineering which I think is pretty neat since I get to work with software and hardware. Many people like to relate the technical workings of technology to black magic in my degree which I cannot always argue is far off from the truth. Engineering is definitely not the easiest major offered at the University of Oklahoma and requires full dedication and hard work if you want to stay on top of your GPA. Computer Engineering does offer lots of opportunities in interesting fields. I tend to like the software side of the degree more, and essentially, every company with computers or websites need people like me at some point or other. Someone has to make the programs that run the technology of today.


(Me next to the rover taken by Clayton Smith)

At the end of my first year at the University of Oklahoma, I first discovered that my college had a team that built rovers. In my second year at college, I joined the Sooner Rover Team and have learned more practical information by being on that team than I have in any of my engineering courses. When I mention building a rover, I mean like the Mars rovers that NASA has been building and sending to explore Mars. The Sooner Rover Team goes to a competition at the end of the school year to the Mars Desert Research Station to compete against other teams from all over the world. Being able to be apart of this team has definitely opened my eyes to the practical application of my degree and what I am capable of with this knowledge.

When I am not busy with the bustle of my courses and work, I enjoy movies, music, and art. My favorite movie that I have watched was The Fault in Our Stars. This story of life and death is truly heart wrenching and celebrates the joys of life but not without the pains of death through a life ended too early. I have enjoyed music for the majority of my life, and I have learned how to play the piano, flute, and alto saxophone. Playing music was a constant for me for over half of my life, and I found that playing music was a way to let out emotions when I could not put my feelings into words. The arts have always been something I fall back on when I need to relax for awhile, and they have truly changed how I see the world.

19 comments:

  1. Hi Jaclyn!
    I'm also an engineering major here at OU (ChemE not Computer though). It's so cool that you're a computer engineer, I find software engineering so fascinating. If I had known about it when I was younger I might have even chosen to pursue a degree in comp sci or computer engineering, but I love chemE! I've heard a lot about the rover team here at OU. It's such a big time commitment, I admire you for being on the team. I look forward to reading more of your stories as the semester goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is exciting to have someone with a connection to the Philippines in this class, Jaclyn! Like I said in writing back to you about your topic ideas, the Philippines is one of the most fascinating places in the world for storytelling because of all the different cultures that have left a mark, and left their stories, there in the islands. That's why so many different folklorists and anthropologists have gone there to collect stories: the Filipino stories are beautiful and full of surprises!
    Plus how great also that you are on the Rover Team! If there is going to be some public event, or any other cool Engineering event, let me know so that I can put that in the class announcements. There are always campus events to share, but the best events are the ones that are connected up with actual people in class.
    Anyway, I am guessing that between your ultra-cool name AND technology AND music you will have all kinds of ideas for story experiments to try in this class. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Jaclyn!
    I am also an Engineering major here at OU, but I am a mechanical. I definitely understand where you come from with saying it takes a lot to keep the GPA up. But it is very cool that you are a computer engineer because my dad was actually a computer science major. Have a great semester!
    Drew

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jaclyn.
    Your name is very beautiful, and how cool that you are Filipina! I am half Vietnamese on my dad's side, so I bet we could relate to a lot of things about each other. Engineering is such a cool major. The rover thing is super awesome! I did not know we had a Sooner Rover Team, but now I will have to google it. It's cool that you're a musician too! I played piano for a few years and I was also in band. It was nice getting to read about you and I wish you luck in your classes this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Jaclyn!

    I must start off by saying that I am really impressed with what you have done with you blog – it looks fantastic! I am not going to lie, when I first say the “introduction to Jaclyn of the Angeles” bit, I thought you were trying to convey that you are really are an LA girl at heart. Once I read your full name, however, I quickly realized that I was wrong. You really do have a unique name! As a final note, it’s nice to be able to meet someone studying computer engineering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jaclyn,
    I love your blog, especially the background. Very unique! My brother is a computer engineering major, and I have never understood anything he said, so I definitely know how tough it is! Good for you for expanding the presence of women in tough fields like that. I can't wait to hear more about you as the semester goes on! Good luck!
    Anhthu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Jaclyn!

    First off, I love the aesthetics of your blog--so beautiful! Also, your last name is gorgeous and unique; as someone with a really plain, common last name, count yourself lucky! I am super impressed that you are studying engineering and are involved with the Sooner Rover Team and I wish you and your team luck with that competition! I know you all will make OU proud!

    Good luck with your junior and senior years and beyond!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jaclyn!

    I love the layout of your blog! It's so pretty! I am so impressed by how many instruments you play, that is so cool! I also love The Fault In Our Stars, such a sweet love story! I can't wait to hear more about you and read your stories! Have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jaclyn,

    Like some of the other comments have pointed out, you have a very well designed blog! Congrats on making it to year three of your engineering education; that is no small accomplishment. The rovers you guys built are pretty cool. I should have joined something like that earlier in my time at OU!

    Have a great semester,
    Brady

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jaclyn,

    Your introduction was so fun to read. Your name is truly unique and it has such a cool meaning. It definitely sounds like you have a difficult major, but I am sure it is very fun and rewarding at the same time. It is so awesome that you are a part of the sooner rover team. Best of luck this semester!

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jaclyn!
    I had no idea that OU had a rover team! It must be super fun to work with a group and build robots - and it's totally in line with your major, which is always nice. I'm excited to see how you incorporate your other interests into your stories. And I can definitely relate to loving arts. I feel like we can get so much knowledge and understanding out of art that we can't really get through other sources of information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Jaclyn,

    I really enjoyed reading this and getting to know a little bit about you. I think that building rovers would be super cool and its awesome that you're on the OU team. It is always fun to put the things we learn in school into application. I also have some friends that are in engineering and know how time consuming and hard it is. I'm a business major for the sole reason that I would probably flunk out if I was anything else. I am looking forward to seeing some stories from you and seeing your creative side. Hope you have a great rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Jaclyn,

    You have such a great name! I also think that you're major is super cool. I have a few friends who also major in computer engineering and they absolutely love it. I also think it is so cool that you are on the Rover Team. I had never heard of it before and didn't even know that OU had anything like it.

    Hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Jaclyn, it is so cool that you are a computer engineering major! I have friends on a similar track, and I know how difficult it can be, so kudos to you on that endeavor. I was not aware of OU's Rover Team and it is so cool that you have that opportunity here! Good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Jaclyn,

    I love the last name! It's pretty dang unique. I chuckled when I read that you can enjoy and appreciate the hardware and software side of things! I find that lots of computer-oriented individuals usually have an inclination towards one or the other. It's awesome that you truly like both.

    Best of luck in this course!
    -Lance J.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jaclyn,

    Your name is incredibly interesting! Your major also sounds incredible. Engineering always fascinates me with what you and many others do. I wish I was able to do what you do! It is so cool how you are part of that team. I did not eve realize that OU had a team like that! It is incredible what I continuously find out about this university. Good luck with all of your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey howdy, Jaclyn of the Angels!
    What a great ice breaker that you will be set with for a long time! I am sure you have taken advantage of that storytelling opportunity any time we have to do those first-day-of-class "fun facts." But with your other interests, it doesn't seem like you would have a hard time coming up with fun facts anyways. Props to you for staying so involved in extracurricular activities in addition to your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jaclyn! First of all, it is super cool how you are involved in rovers. Computer engineering has always seemed so interesting but difficult to me. You guys really learn your own language in coding and such. I love that you use music as a way to relax. I do, too! It is such a great mind break from the constant stress of being in STEM. Good luck with the rest of your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jaclyn, it was really great getting to know you some through your introduction post. I think it is so cool that we are able to interact even though we are in two separate classes (I'm in Indian Epics). I think it is cool that having an online class like this allows us to do that. Again, it was great getting to know you some and the best of luck to you on your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete